Lunch Challenge


It's hard to believe it's mid-August already! Back to school and back to routine has been on my mind lately and its made me think about our lunches...

Packing lunches, dare I say is the bane of every parent's existence during the school year...or at least its mine!

I do a good job of planning and cooking dinners. But if I'm being truly honest there is a lot of room for improvement in the lunch department at my house. I rely a lot on sandwiches and wraps with processed meat.

Although this is not new information processed foods including processed meat are high in sodium and usually unhealthy fats. Processed meats are also linked to an increased risk of some types of cancer.

So our goal this year is to try to cut down how much processed meat we eat.

I am challenging my family to plan lunches like how we plan dinners and actually do some meal prep on the weekend for the week.

I am hoping this will help us plan and enjoy healthier lunches and cut down on how much lunch packing I actually have to do.

I am also always looking for more ways to include my daughter in meal prep and cooking so she can practise her skills and learn new ones.

Here are some of our Diaries of a Dietitian recipes we enjoy for lunch:

Buddha Bowls

Black Bean Tacos

Egg Roll Stir-fry

Cheesy Broccoli & Ham Quinoa Cups with a salad


You can also search "lunch meal prep" in Pinterest and get lots of great ideas, like these:


If you have great lunch ideas please share...no one can ever have enough ideas. And let us know if you will take the lunch challenge with us.

Shannon RD
Registered Dietitian

Comments