Cheesy Broccoli & Ham Quinoa Cups

I'm not usually one to set New Year's Resolutions. This year however, I do find myself reflecting on some of my habits with the arrival of 2018. When it comes to food, one thing I definitely struggled with in 2017 was breakfast. The all-important breakfast meal was not always had at a reasonable time and the food choices weren't always the best (no, 11:30am doesn't count as a reasonable time and having just an apple, although better than nothing, leaves me pretty ravenous by mid-morning).

Instead of making my resolution to "eat breakfast every morning", which would certainly fail by mid-January, I need a serious plan to make that happen. My main challenge in the morning is time. Many mornings, even pulling out the toaster or dirtying up the blender seems like too much.

I know for this breakfast resolution to really stick, I need options that can be made ahead and that are grab-and-go. Another important factor is protein. I find when I eat a good source of protein for breakfast, I feel more energized and less hungry throughout the morning. These Cheesy Broccoli and Ham Quinoa Cups fit the bill perfectly. These little beauties can be made ahead and frozen, and not only are they great for breakfast, but also for lunches or snacking too! And, to me anyways, so much more appealing than toast!

Makes 12 cups or 24 mini cups

Ingredients
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp ground mustard
  • 1/4 tsp each garlic powder and onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
  • 2 cups cooked quinoa
  • 1 cup uncooked broccoli, finely chopped
  • 3/4 cup cooked ham, chopped (optional, I had leftovers to use up)
  • 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
     
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 12 muffin tins or 24 mini tins.

Whisk eggs together in a large bowl. Add ground mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper and whisk to combine.

To the egg mixture add the cooked quinoa, broccoli, ham, and cheeses. Mix well to combine.

Spoon evenly into the muffin tins. With the back of a spoon, press down gently into each muffin tin. This ensures the mixture forms well to the muffin tins and gives it the proper cup shape.

Bake for 25-30 minutes (if using regular size muffin tins), or 15-20 minutes (for mini muffins), or until edges are golden brown and the centre of the muffins are firm to the touch.

Remove from oven and let rest for at least 5 minutes before taking quinoa cups out of muffin tins.

To freeze, lay flat in a plastic container or Ziploc bag and place in freezer. To reheat, microwave for 20-30 seconds.

Enjoy!
Natalee, RD
 

Recipe adapted from the Yum and Yummer Cookbook, 2017

Comments

  1. Hi Natalie, Wondering how heart healthy these babies are? They do look delicious. We were challenged over the holidays to get more Heart Healthy meals in our house after my husband suffered a heart attack followed by 6 bypasses. He--surprisingly--has never had a problem with cholesterol (according to blood tests). So, is it the sodium that is the problem? fats? something else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, thanks so much for your question! The quinoa and veggies are certainly heart healthy foods, but I would suggest leaving the ham out to make these especially heart friendly (high sodium). You could also cut down the amount of cheese you use and this will reduce the fat and sodium (I would start with cutting it back to 2/3 of cup instead of the full cup of cheddar). Using a sharp tasting cheese (such as an old cheddar), just a bit less of it, should still give you really good flavour.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment