Over the holidays I bought a baguette for a dinner I was hosting and forgot to serve it. A couple days later I noticed the baguette hiding on top of the fridge...hard as a rock. Instead of throwing it out I made this delicious Berry Baked French Toast for breakfast.
This breakfast bake was easy to put together the night before. You want the bread to soak in the egg mixture over night. In the morning I put the casserole dish directly from the fridge into the cold oven. Turned the oven on and baked the French toast for 45 minutes. You don't want to put a cold glass pan into a hot oven because you risk cracking the pan.
The original recipe uses 12 cups of cubed bread to serve 12 people. Since I only had 4 cups of bread I made a third of the recipe, which turned out really well!
Baked French Toast with Berries
Makes 4 servings
- 4 cups cubed bread
- 1 cup fresh or frozen berries
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a mixing bowl combine eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Place cubed bread into an 8x8 greased pan and pour egg mixture over the bread.
- Try to get all the bread covered in the liquid.
- Cover pan and refrigerate over night.
- In the morning, sprinkle berries over bread and bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until golden brown.