Gardening with Two Black Thumbs!


Gardening is not my specialty...it never has been. But that doesn't stop me from attempting to grow vegetables each year. This is our ninth year planting a vegetable garden and although I still feel like a beginner gardener, I have learned a few things along the way...



1. Your soil matters- so add some compost to it. Compost can help to improve your soil and adds nutrients to help your plants grow. It also helps soil retain water.


2. Start your seeds in early spring. Doing this helps get a jump start on the growing season. Plant your seeds in March in little pots or even egg cartons and keep them in a warm sunny spot. You don't have to do this. I often plant seeds directly in the ground - it just means you have to wait a little longer to enjoy your veggies.


3. Follow the seed spacing advice on the package. This gives your vegetables room to grow. Use a ruler or a locking tap measure to help with this.


4. Mark your rows. I recommend at both ends so you'll be able to see your vegetables growing and remember what is what. Row markers will help you to know what is your plant vs. what is a weed. We used a permanent marker to label popsicle sticks.


5. Don't forget water makes things grow, grow, grow. So water when its hot and dry (often what I forget to do). Gardening expects recommend watering one or two inches per week with deep, infrequent watering to help deep roots grow.

Please share any gardening tips you have. I am always hoping to learn more.

Shannon RD
Registered Dietitian

Comments