Winter Slaw


I'm all for recipes that turn ho-hum basics into something that's tasty, easy and versatile. This Winter Slaw recipe, adapted from Foodland Ontario, fits the bill.






I like this recipe because it uses a simple vinaigrette and inexpensive vegetables that are plentiful in the winter: rutabaga, cabbage, and carrots. You can add other vegetables to it as well. I added onion and celery. Other options are peppers, frozen edamame, radish...whatever vegetable you like to eat raw, I suppose.


To make it, shred the rutabaga and carrots (use a grater or food processor); thinly slice the cabbage and chop the onions and celery. The more vegetables you use, the more coleslaw you'll make, of course. I made enough for 8 people plus some leftovers and used a very small rutabaga, half a small cabbage, 2 carrots, 3 onions and 2 stalks of celery.



After the veggies are grated and chopped, put them in a huge bowl.


 Pour the vinaigrette (recipe is below) over the veggies and toss it together.


 Store the leftovers in a covered container in the fridge. It will keep for about 5 days. 

We had this on Sunday for dinner with soup, chili and buns. My son used leftovers on his tuna sandwich for lunch on Monday. Tonight, I'm going to turn the remaining leftovers into an 'Asian-inspired slaw' by adding grated ginger, roasted almonds and cashews and stirring in some sesame oil and soya sauce. I'll be serving it with orange-baked chicken and peas. I'm cooking extra chicken so I have extra for lunches. I plan to make rice wraps for lunch the next day using the Asian coleslaw and sliced bake chicken - Yum!

Here's how to make the vinaigrette: 

In a microwave safe bowl, combine 1/2 cup cider vinegar (or any vinegar you have), 1/4 cup vegetable oil, 3 tbsp honey (or sugar), 1 tsp dried dill, 1 tsp dry mustard, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Mix it up. Cook in the microwave on high for 1.5 min. Stir it again, then pour the hot mixture over the vegetables. 

If you have a tried and true recipe that uses any of these basic winter vegetables, please share them with us. 
Michele, RD

Comments