Kicking the Holiday Sweet Treat Habit



Well the holidays are over and it’s a new year, a fresh start! In my house I am trying to cut the dessert habit that seemed to develop very innocently over the holidays. You know the one…enjoying a small sweet treat after dinner just because the sweet treats are there, in your home.
Enjoying gifts of gingerbread and shortbread, fudge and peanut brittle have now turned into a daily thing, a thing I don’t want to continue. So what do I do?

Well for starts I put all my remaining holiday treats in the freezer, so we can enjoy them occasionally and not daily. Then I serve fruit after dinner to satisfy our sweet craving. Fresh, frozen or canned fruit, fruit kebabs, fruit salad we even tried this baked fruit salad – it doesn't really matter.

I adapted this recipe below. The cinnamon and nutmeg make it perfect for this time of year. It was easy to prepare and we enjoyed the leftovers over oatmeal for breakfast. I could take of leave the walnuts in this, I think the next time I make this I'll try it with out.

Baked Fruit Salad

Ingredients


  • 2 cups sliced apples
  • 2 cups sliced pear
  • 1 cup fresh cranberries
  • 1 cup pineapple chunks (drained if using canned)
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)




Instructions

  • Preheat oven to 300 F.
  • In a large bowl, toss your fruit and add in 1 tsp. lemon juice. Set aside.

  • In another glass bowl, combine your melted butter, sugar, and spices.


  • Add this sugar/butter mixture to your fruit and toss to coat evenly.

  • Pour fruit evenly in a 9 x 13 baking dish.


  • Bake for 30 minutes.
  • Sprinkle the nuts on top.
  • Continue baking for 30 minutes. 

  • Serve with a dollop of vanilla yogurt. 
Enjoy & Happy New Year!

Shannon RD
Registered Dietitian 



Original recipe from http://www.cottercrunch.com/gluten-free-spiced-hot-fruit-bake/

Comments