Cheesy Baked Broccoli


This simple vegetable dish is made with frozen vegetables...perfect for winter when fresh veggies can be pricey.











I've made this dish several times. It's a hit with my youngest who generally eats vegetables with little enthusiasm. When I make this dish, he goes back for more. I've always made it with fresh broccoli or cauliflower but when I went shopping the other day, the fresh broccoli didn't look that great and the cauliflower was too expensive for me. So, I decided to try the dish using frozen broccoli florets (they cost $1.99 for 500 grams, in case you're wondering) and I'll be making it again using the frozen version.




Ingredients:

1 pkg frozen broccoli florets
250 ml (1 cup) grated cheddar cheese
75 ml (1/3 cup) plain thick yogurt or light sour cream





Steps:

Preheat the oven to 400 F
Put the frozen broccoli in an ovenproof dish.
Add the yogurt/sour cream and most of the cheese.



Gently mix it together. Sprinkle with remaining grated cheese.



Cover loosely with foil.


Bake for 15 min. Remove foil and bake about 10 min more.





Using frozen vegetables tastes just as good as using fresh and, bonus - it's much easier because you don't have to wash, cut and pre-cook the veggies before assembling If you keep grated cheese in the freezer (I do because it's much handier than grating it when you're in a rush), this is a snap to put together.

I'll be making this with frozen cauliflower for another meal.
Michele, RD







Comments