No longer does pizza night have to involve ordering in! It’s easy to veer away from ordering pizza after making this truly fantastic recipe.
My family loves this homemade, healthy gourmet pizza served with a Greek salad. It is easy to make, and tastes delicious! The leftovers never last long in our house. They make for a great grab and go lunch the next day paired with some fresh fruits and vegetables.
- 1 Large Prebaked Whole Grain Pizza Crust
- 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1/3 cup BBQ Sauce (Divided)
- 1/4 cup Pizza Sauce
- 1 tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Small Red Onion, Chopped
- 2 cups Sliced Mushrooms
- 1 tsp Fresh Oregano (or 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano)
- 1 tsp Fresh Basil (or 1/2 tsp Dried Basil)
- 1/3 cup Light Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/3 cup Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1/4 cup Chopped Parsley or Cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl combine ½ the BBQ sauce with the pizza sauce.
- Spread the pizza/BBQ sauce mixture evenly onto the pizza crust.
- Bake the chicken breasts for 10 minutes.
- Brush the remaining BBQ sauce on the chicken breasts.
- Continue baking the chicken until cooked through, 10-15 minutes, until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Once cooked, slice the chicken breasts into strips.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the red onion to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms to the onion cook for another 3 minutes.
- Stir in the oregano and basil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Spread the mushrooms and onions evenly over the pizza crust.
- Top with sliced chicken and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in the oven until the cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes.
- Once cooked, top with parsley or cilantro.
Serve & enjoy!
Kristen Murray is completing a Master of Applied Nutrition degree from the University of Guelph. She is studying to become a Registered Dietitian and is currently completing a dietetic internship rotation at the Perth District Health Unit.