Whole Wheat Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
Makes 6 medium pancakes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice, or 1/2 tsp cinnamon (or 3/4 tsp if you like more cinnamon flavour!) plus 1/8 tsp ground ginger plus 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 can evaporated milk (7 oz or 185mL)
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Combine flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt in a lare bowl. Mix well. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, pumpkin, brown sugar, egg, oil and vanilla.
2. Add wet ingredient to dry ingredients and stir just until dry ingredient are moistened. Stirring too much will cause the batter to get tough.
3. Spoon 1/3 cup batter onto a non-stick fry pan or griddle set to medium high heat. Spread batter to about 4 inch diameter. Repeat with remaining batter.
4. Cook each pancake for about 2 minutes, until golden brown. Flip over and cook for another minute, until pancakes are cooked through. Be careful not to burn them!
5. Serve with fruit and maple syrup, or with vanilla yogurt and maple syrup. Leftover pancakes can be reheated and enjoyed the next day.