What to do about a Radish?


 
My grandparents often regale us with stories from the farm. Stories about the crops they grew or living in an old farm house and cooking with a wood stove. Radishes were one of the many crops they grew and (I believe) as a result radishes always seem to make it to our table- usually on a vegetable tray.

 So when a co-worker asked what else you can do with a radish I blanked – had no ideas.
It never occurred to me to find other ways to enjoy a radish. I was happy with how I have been enjoying them all these years! Until I found this recipe and now have a new way to enjoy a radish. My adaptation of the recipe is below. I shredded the carrots and radishes because it's a bit easier than cutting them julienne.

 

Ginger Carrot Radish salad

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar (if you have seasoned rice vinegar use less salt)
  • 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soya sauce
  • 2 teaspoons maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger root
  • ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 cups julienne cut or shredded carrots (about 2-3 large)
  • 1 cup julienne cut radish (any variety)
  • ½ cup flat leaf parsley leaves, cut into tiny ribbons or minced

Instructions

  • Whisk vinegar, maple syrup, tamari (or soya sauce), ginger, garlic and salt in a large bowl. Whisk in oil.

  • Add carrots, radish and parsley and toss to coat.
Enjoy!

Shannon RD
Registered Dietitian
 

Comments