- 1 large eggplant, sliced 1 inch thick
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese – I used gouda, mozzarella works too
- ½ cup fresh cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Fresh basil, sliced finely
- Red pepper flakes, optional
- Preheat your oven to 425 F.
- On a baking tray arrange the sliced eggplants. Sprinkle the a little salt and bake for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Remove the bake eggplant from the oven and turn your broiler on.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce over each eggplant round followed by some shredded cheese. Arrange some fresh spinach and cherry tomatoes, fresh basil and red pepper flakes over the cheese and broil for 3-5 minutes.
- Make sure you keep a close look while the eggplant is under the broiler as they can burn really fast.
- Serve while still hot.
My daughter also enjoyed them cold and took the leftover in her lunch the next day.
Create your own eggplant pizza using your favourite pizza toppings!
Recipe adapted from http://www.eatgood4life.com/eggplant-pizza/