Do you have people in your life you like to swap recipes with? Maybe family, friends, or neighbours who like similar foods and meals as you? I am fortunate to have quite a few people...my aunt being one of them.
My aunt and uncle are vegetarian so when I came across this recipe and discovered how delicious it is, I was sure to pass it on. They loved it too!
This recipe was easy to make and I served it over rice with carrots and green beans for dinner. You could also serve it with pita bread as a dip if you are looking for a healthier appetizer. It made a large batch so I froze some to eat another time (I love doing this)!
Don’t turn away from this recipe because of the spice list. It calls for a few like garam masala and turmeric that you may not have at home. I recommend picking up small amounts of spices at a bulk store or the bulk sections at your local grocery store. You can purchase the amount you need for a recipe, it won’t break the bank and you won’t have a lot left over if you don’t like it or would only use it occasionally – now that’s a win, win, win!
Red Curry Lentils
- 1½ cups brown lentils, rinsed well
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- ½ tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- a few good shakes of cayenne pepper
- 1 14 ounce can tomato puree
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- cilantro for garnishing (optional- but highly recommended)
- Cook the lentils according to directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onion and saute for a few minutes until fragrant and golden.
- Add all the spices (curry paste, garam masala, curry powder, turmeric, cayenne, sugar, garlic, ginger) and stir fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the tomato sauce; stir until mixed well.
- Add the lentils and the coconut milk. Stir to combine and simmer for another 15-20 minutes (the longer, the better)!
- Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro.
Original recipe from http://pinchofyum.com/red-curry-lentils Pin It