Persimmon - pərˈsimən


Here's to trying something new!



Last week while at the grocery store I came across persimmons. I had never tried one before and assumed they were a tropical fruit (they were with the other tropical fruits). So I brought one home and we gave it a try.

I think trying new foods is a great thing to do as a family. There are lots of foods that we are unfamiliar with and trying them together allows everyone to share in the experience.

It's a great skill to role model to your children - showing them that you are willing to try a new foods too because we often ask or expect them to do this.

I always tell my daughter she does not have to love it, she just has to try it!

With whatever new food you choose to try allow everyone to explore the new food. What does it look like, smell like, feel like and taste like.


The persimmon looked kind of like an orange tomato and was firm. When you cut into it there is a great star pattern and the flavour was mild and sweet almost like a honeydew melon.

Have you tried something new recently? Please share your experience.

Shannon RD
Registered Dietitian

Comments