A great, easy recipe to feed a crowd, or enjoy after an afternoon of skating or tobogganing. It also freezes well and heats up easily as leftovers.
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 lb extra lean or lean ground meat (beef, turkey or chicken)
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken stock
- 8 oz. whole wheat pasta (2 ½ cups)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 cup pasta sauce
- 1 can of corn, drained (could also use fresh or frozen corn)
- 1 can of black beans, drained (or your favourite beans try Kidney, Navy or Chick Peas)
- Shredded cheese
- Diced tomatoes
- Green onions
- Black olives
- Plain Greek yogurt
- In a large pot, heat 1-2 tsp of vegetable oil over medium heat
- Saute the onions and peppers for about 5 minutes, until the onions become translucent.
- Add the ground meat to the pan and brown. Breaking up the meat as it cooks. Drain fat from the pan.
- Add stock, pasta, diced tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, and tomato sauce. Mix well. Try to keep the pasta under the liquid.
- Cover pot, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the pasta is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the corn and black beans and keep on the heat for 2 minutes.
- Serve as is or top with your favourite toppings.
My families favourite toppings are shredded cheese, green onions and a dollop of plain Greek yogurt.
What toppings would you use?