So far the one pot meals I have made are easy and don’t use a lot of ingredients. I love when they are a complete meal – include at least one vegetable, a grain like rice or pasta and some protein either meat or some beans.
I usually add in extra vegetables and sometimes even double the amount of vegetables the recipe calls for. Just to help make sure my family is eating enough of them!
My husband and I loved this dinner, but my daughter complaint was the broccoli – her least favourite vegetable.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded old cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in large pot with lid over medium heat
- Saute onion until soft
- Increase to medium high heat and add chicken
- Brown chicken pieces, then add garlic and cook for 2 minutes
- Push chicken to one side of the pan and add rice.
- Saute rice until golden colour about 2-3 minutes
- Add chicken broth, stir and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to low and cover
- Cook chicken and rice for about 12 minutes
- Stir in broccoli and continue cooking covered another 8 minutes on low, or until the broccoli and rice are both tender
- Remove from heat and serve.
- Sprinkle with cheese.