Spicing Up Your Sides – Roasted Beets with a Balsamic Reduction


Last week Natalee and I purchased and split a Farm Fresh Box from The Local Community Food Centre in Stratford. The box provides high quality, locally grown produce.

I took home a butternut squash, onion, garlic, beets, tomatoes and carrots. Over the month of October I’ll share with you what I made.


First I made the beets – really because I love, love, love beets!!

I made roasted beets with a balsamic reduction – yum. I served them with our baked chicken fingers and a side salad.

First roast the beets following our how to video 

While the beets are roasting make the balsamic reduction

Ingredients
  • 1 tsp. olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp. red onion, chopped finely
  • 2 tsp. garlic, minced
  • ½ tsp grated fresh ginger
  • ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
  • ¼ cup reduced sodium beef broth








Directions
  • Heat oil on medium heat, in a small pot.
  • Add onions and sauté until soften.
  • Add garlic and ginger, continue stirring for a minute.
  • Add balsamic vinegar, maple syrup and broth.







  • Continue stirring while the sauce simmers and until it reduces to half. Then remove from heat.



  • Once the beets are roasted, let them cool for a couple minutes and then carefully remove the skins. The beets will still be really hot. 
  • Slice or quarter the beets and drizzle the balsamic reduction over them.


So I learned that beets are hard to photograph - they don't look like anything special but trust me they are delicious! 


Enjoy!

Shannon RD
Registered Dietitian


For more information and to order a Farm Fresh box check out their website http://thelocalcfc.org/?page_id=2782


Comments