Last week Natalee and I purchased and split a Farm Fresh Box from The Local Community Food Centre in Stratford. The box provides high quality, locally grown produce.
I took home a butternut squash, onion, garlic, beets, tomatoes and carrots. Over the month of October I’ll share with you what I made.
First I made the beets – really because I love, love, love beets!!
I made roasted beets with a balsamic reduction – yum. I served them with our baked chicken fingers and a side salad.
First roast the beets following our how to video
While the beets are roasting make the balsamic reduction
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. red onion, chopped finely
- 2 tsp. garlic, minced
- ½ tsp grated fresh ginger
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- ¼ cup reduced sodium beef broth
- Heat oil on medium heat, in a small pot.
- Add onions and sauté until soften.
- Add garlic and ginger, continue stirring for a minute.
- Add balsamic vinegar, maple syrup and broth.
- Continue stirring while the sauce simmers and until it reduces to half. Then remove from heat.
- Once the beets are roasted, let them cool for a couple minutes and then carefully remove the skins. The beets will still be really hot.
- Slice or quarter the beets and drizzle the balsamic reduction over them.
|So I learned that beets are hard to photograph - they don't look like anything special but trust me they are delicious!|
For more information and to order a Farm Fresh box check out their website http://thelocalcfc.org/?page_id=2782