Baked Onions


I came across this recipe and was so interested in the idea of eating baked onions. I use onions in almost everything I make but never have I considered this type of side.

So with the biggest onion I have ever seen - received in the Farm Fresh Box - we gave it a try!



Ingredients
  • 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1 tbsp. honey
  • 4 medium onions - or one really large onion!
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 425 F

  • In a small bowl, combine mustard, oil and honey

  • Slice onions into 1 cm (1/2 inch) think slices

  • Place onions in a single layer on a greased baking dish - I used parchment paper

  • Brush with mustard mixture

  • Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes

  • Uncover and bake for 10-15 minutes longer or until tender.

I served these onions with roast beef. Next time I would cook them for a little longer until they were really tender and enjoy them on a sandwich or hamburger.

Enjoy!

Shannon RD
Registered Dietitian

For more information and to order a Farm Fresh box check out their website http://thelocalcfc.org/?page_id=2782

Recipe from Foodland Ontario

Comments