There is no need to replace all your cookbooks if you have decided to cook and bake healthier foods. Here are a few of our secret substitutions that you can use to help make any recipe healthier.
Cooking and Baking Substitutions
- Recipe calls for melted butter – use vegetable oil instead. Not only does it save a step but also replaces the unhealthy saturated fat with healthier unsaturated fat.
- Replace ½ the fat with unsweetened applesauce or another kind of pureed fruit like pumpkin. If the recipe calls for ½ cup of oil use a ¼ cup of oil and a ¼ cup of pureed fruit.
- Replace at least ½ the amount of all purpose flour with whole wheat flour. Some recipes like banana or carrot muffins you can replace all the flour with whole wheat flour.
- Recipe calls for cream – use 2% evaporated milk instead. Evaporated milk comes in a can so you can keep it on hand. Evaporated milk replaces the unhealthy saturated fat with healthier unsaturated fat, plus has more calcium and vitamin D than cream.
- Instead of sour cream – use plain Greek yogurt for dips, dressings and even on baked potatoes.