Grilled Lemon Chicken


I posted last week about some of the items I was going to pack for my family when they go camping this weekend. Given the weather prediction, I'm guessing they're going to appreciate the food that I've prepared for them.
This Grilled Lemon Chicken is the last item I'm getting ready for them. This chicken recipe is super tasty and very easy to make. And, bonus - it's great hot or cold.






This recipe is adapted slightly from a recipe in Suppertime Survival, one of my most used cookbooks.

What you need

3 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp dijon mustard
2-3 tsp chopped, fresh basil (or 1 tsp dried basil)
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (buy with skin on and remove it yourself to save money)



What you do
Blend the lemon juice, olive oil, mustard, chopped basil, minced garlic, salt and pepper.
Put this mixture in a plastic bag and add the chicken. Seal the bag tightly and toss the bag around until the chicken is coated in the marinade. Marinate in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. I usually marinate it for an hour or even overnight to make it more flavourful.



Get the BBQ to medium heat and grill the chicken for 12-15 minutes, turning once (temperature of a food probe thermometer should register 74 C/165 F).




This chicken has fantastic flavour and is really juicy and tender. I made extra to keep some for myself. I'll send along some whole grain buns and a tomato for them to slice up and put on top of the chicken. They can use the dip I sent for the veggies as a spread. I'm also going to send along a  pre-washed bag salad mix and a vinaigrette so they can have the grilled chicken on a bun with lettuce salad and leftover bean salad from the day before. 
I'm going to make this chicken the night before they leave. Then I'll put my feet up and start the countdown 'til their departure and a weekend to myself!

Michele Hurd, RD







Comments