While I was searching for recipes the other day I came across this one - Shrimp with Tomato and Pasta. I thought it would be a good one to try because it boasted quick and easy - with minimal prep and 10 minutes of cooking time.
This recipe tasted great, was easy to cook and took no time at all. My only beef is there is not enough vegetables to make it a one dish meal - something I appreciate on a busy week night.
If you wanted to make this into a one dish meal here is what I would suggest. Use 2 pints of cherry tomatoes, slice one pepper and add in a green vegetable such as green beans, snow peas or broccoli. Cook the green vegetable and pepper until crisp before adding in the chicken stock, tomatoes and basil.
Shrimp with Tomato and Pasta
Makes 4 servings.
- 1 lb raw shrimp - deveined and shelled
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 reduced sodium chicken stock.
- 1 cup orzo noodles
- black pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan on medium heat and then add shrimp.
- Cook shrimp, turning once about 2 minutes per side. Shrimp will turn pink and should reach an internal temperature of 70 C (158 F).
- Remove shrimp from pan.
- Here is where I would cook the pepper and green vegetable you choose.
- Add stock, tomatoes and basil into frying pan and cook until tomatoes lose their shape and some liquid has evaporated.
- Add shrimp back into pan to warm up.
- Serve over pasta.