What to do with monster zucchini



Zucchini is ready. I thought I got a good deal on zucchini at the grocery store the other day until my co-worker, Tara, brought in a laundry basket full of monster zucchini from her garden.The zucchini from her garden put my 'good deal' to shame. My three grocery store zucchini didn't weigh as much as the huge one from the garden. And, interestingly enough, my zucchini cost more than the pack of zucchini seeds that Tara planted. What does one do with a monstrous zucchini?
I asked some of my co-workers what they were going to do with their monster zucchini. Turns out I work with some very creative folks. Here are some of the ideas: stuffed zucchini, zucchini Parmesan, ratatouille, stir fried with rice or noodles, raw with dip, zucchini relish. Some people planned to grate the zucchini and freeze it for making muffins or loaves. Others planned to cube it and freeze it to use in soups or pasta sauce. I decided to grill it and top with cheese, tomato and basil.






Here's how I did it:

Cut thick slices of zucchini



Put some olive oil in a dish and add some salt and pepper. Crumble some feta and chop a tomato and some fresh basil.





Brush each slice with the oil, salt and pepper mixture. Top with crumbled feta then chopped tomato then sprinkle with chopped basil.





Place the dressed zucchini slices on a greased grill over medium heat.




Close the lid and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes.




The zucchini will soften and be brown on the underside and the cheese will melt slightly.




I served it as a side dish but it could also be cut and used as part of an appetizer plate.



I really liked how this turned out. I took a leftover slice in my lunch and it was good cold.
I still have half the monster zucchini left plus the zucchini I bought. There will be some zucchini grating and freezing happening at our house in the next day or two. Next week I'll post a recipe that uses the frozen zucchini.

Michele, RD







Comments