|Batter Oatmeal Bread|
Oatmeal Batter BreadPrep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Yield: Makes one loaf
2 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I substitute ¾ cup whole wheat
flour in this mixture)
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 pkg. dry yeast
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg
Grease an 8x4" loaf pan. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, oats, salt and yeast and mix well. In a small saucepan, heat water, honey and butter until very warm, about 120 degrees. Add to flour mixture along with egg, and beat for three minutes. Stir in additional 1 to 1-1/2 cups flour to make a stiff batter. Cover batter and let rise until light, about 25-30 minutes.
Stir down batter and place in prepared pan. Cover and let rise until batter reaches top of pan, about 15-20 minutes. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Bake bread for 35-40 minutes until loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Remove from pan immediately and place on wire rack to cool.
The second recipe for this post is for Cheddar Basil Batter Bread. This bread is great to serve at a summer barbeque with ribs or pork chops.Cheddar Basil Batter Bread
Prep Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
- 2 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tsp. basil ( I sometimes use thyme or celery seed here in place of basil)
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour ( I use half all-purpose and half whole wheat flour to make this a more whole grain bread)
- In medium bowl, add yeast and water. Stir until yeast is dissolved.
- Add cheese, basil, oil, sugar, salt, and 2 cups of flour. Mix well.
- Mix in remaining flour.
- Cover bowl with clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let rise in warm place for 30 minutes.
- Stir down batter.
- Scrape batter into a greased bread pan, 9x5x3 inches. Cover and let rise in warm place for another 30 minutes or until double in size.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped on.
- Remove loaf from pan and let cool.
I hope that you enjoy trying these batter breads over the next couple of months
Margaret Ann R.D.