Tofu Vegetable Stri Fry


My son and I are into our second week of 'going vegetarian'. This is a tofu veggie stir fry that we mde for the whole family. I've made something similar before with shrimp or chicken in addition to the tofu. It's very flavourful, easy to make and was a hit with just the tofu.

There are many recipes for tofu vegetable stir fry. This is my version.


Ingredients
1 block firm tofu

4 cloves garlic, minced
3 green onions, sliced

2 stalks celery, sliced
1 or 2 carrots, sliced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 cup chopped broccoli
1 cup sugar snap peas
2 cups chopped spinach (or other green leafy vegetable)

Oil (I used sesame oil)
Soya sauce
1/4 cup water or vegetable stock
Cornstarch




What to do


Tofu: press as much water as possible from the block of tofu. I cut the block in half horizontally, cover it in paper towel and press down with my hands. Do this a few times.



Cut the tofu into cubes.




Heat some oil in a pan. Add the tofu cubes and brown them. Add about 1 tsp soya sauce and cook the tofu cubes a minute longer.




Remove tofu cubes to plate. Sauté the onion, garlic and celery. 



Add the carrots, broccoli, peas and mushrooms and mix with the sautéed veggies. Add 1/4 cup water or veggie stock and cook until the carrots are tender crisp.



Add the chopped spinach and stir to combine.





Mix 1 tsp cornstarch with 1 tbsp water. Add this to the vegetables and stir. Add the tofu cubes to the vegetables and toss gently.





Serve with noodles or rice. I served it with whole wheat spaghettini. I kept the tofu vegetable mixture separate from the noodles but you could serve it on top of the noodles or toss it in with the noodles. Any leftovers are great for lunch the next day.






Michele, RD














Comments