Christmas Morning Breakfast

Christmas morning tradition in my house is listening to our favourite Christmas music, making a nice breakfast and opening our gifts. The morning is relaxed and we move at our own pace but that does not mean I want to be chained in the kitchen cooking breakfast. I also realize not everyone has the luxury of time on Christmas morning.



I came across a recipe for Apple Pie French Toast in the 2014 calendar from Foodland Ontario – I always sneak a peek at all the delicious recipes! And although French Toast is not one of my personal favourites it is for my husband and daughter. I thought the “apple pie” seemed festive. What really appealed to me was the make a head option and refrigerate overnight.

Apple Pie French Toast from Foodland Ontario

10 cups cubed (2.5 cm/1 inch) bread - the recipe calls for egg bread and I used a crusty French bread.
3 cups diced apples (about 3 medium apples)
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
6 eggs
3 cups milk
1/3 cup Maple Syrup
1 tbsp vanilla

Spray a 9 x 13 inch (3 L) glass baking dish with vegetable oil spray and spread half the bread in the dish.

In a medium bowl, toss together apples, sugar and cinnamon.

Scatter over the bread. Top with remaining bread.

In the same bowl whisk eggs, milk, maple syrup and vanilla together and pour over bread and apples.

Press bread down gently with spatula to coat the bread in liquid. Let stand for 30 minutes. (To make ahead: Cover and refrigerate overnight. Let stand at room temperate while preheating oven.)


Bake in 350 F (180 C) oven for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown and egg mixture is set. Drizzle with warm maple syrup, if you like. 

Enjoy!
Shannon RD

Comments