Beet Salad Slaw



Last week I posted a recipe for a beet salad made with baked beets. This week I tried a beet salad made with raw beets. I think I like it even better. I call it Beet Salad 'Slaw' because it's made with grated beets, like a coleslaw is made with grated cabbage.






This is recipe is adapted from a Foodland Ontario recipe. You'll need 3 or 4 medium beets, a small red onion, a grater and a vinaigrette dressing.

Scrub the beets.

Cut off ends and peel off the skin.



Grate the beets. I used a grater but you could also use a food processor or mandolin.


Place grated beets in a bowl. Add diced red onion (you could use another type of onion as well). Add some parsley or tarragon if you want.

Gently toss the beets and onion with a vinaigrette dressing. Or, simply toss with some orange juice, grated orange rind, olive oil and honey. Add salt and pepper to taste.



I liked the flavour and crunch of this beet slaw. If you have leftovers, add it to a sandwich. I tried it in a tuna salad wrap...yummm.

If you have ideas for great ways to use fresh beets, send them along.

Michele, RD


Comments

  1. Love this slaw! I cook beets often but have never tried them raw. Thanks for sharing this recipe - my family love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Linda! We are so happy you and your family enjoyed this recipe.

      Delete

Post a Comment