Pull Out The Slow Cooker!




Fall is here and the weather has definitely changed in Perth County. Something about the cooler weather makes me want to cook chili, soup and stews! Last week I made chili in the slow cooker (recipe posted February 27, 2013) and it reminded me how easy a slow cooker can make my life – in terms of making dinner through the week!


I feel like I should use my slow cooker more often – I would love to try to use it every week. So, I am always on the hunt for slow cooker recipes and I prefer ones that don’t require a lot of “cooking” before mixing in the slow cooker.

Here is one of our favourites from Martha Stewart. Ok I know this recipe requires some cooking... but honestly on Monday night I did not have the energy so I just through everything in raw and hoped for the best! (I did not include the water) It turned out and was just a little watery so I used a slotted spoon to serve it. Perfect! 

Slow Cooker Spicy Buffalo Chicken

1 tbsp. vegetable oil
500g (1 lb.) boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
500g (1 lb.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
1 medium onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 medium red pepper, diced
1 can (14.5 ounces) crush tomatoes
¼ cup hot-pepper sauce
3 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp. mustard
1 tbsp. molasses

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs, season with pepper and cook, stirring once, until meat is golden brown about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to slow cooker, leaving as much oil as possible. Repeat with chicken breasts.

To skillet, add onion, garlic, and bell pepper and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until onion is translucent, 6 minutes. Add ¼ cup water and cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits from skillet, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to slow cooker.

To slow cooker, add crushed tomatoes, hot-pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and molasses; stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours - until chicken is very tender. Shred chicken and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve on a bun, in a pita, on top of lettuce or in a salad roll.
After 8 hours on low - the chicken is ready to be shredded. 

What is your favourite meal you make in your slow cooker?

                                                                                  Shannon RD

Original Recipe

Comments