Rhubarb and Ramps How I Love the Spring!



Fresh Picked Rhubarb from my Garden

Last week I wrote about rhubarb and ramps the first foods of the Spring Harvest.  This week I thought I would share 2 recipes that use these special spring treats.
More of those delicious  Spring Ramps. Eat them while you can.




Now I will admit I like Rhubarb Crisp as much as the next person.  However overall I enjoy savory spicy foods much more that the sweets.  This recipe for Rhubarb Chutney is one that I make every year.   I got it from the Saskatchewan Fruit Growers Assoc. and have made some changes to suit my family’s taste.  This chutney is a great condiment to serve with pork.  I also put it out with a cheese tray at parties.  It goes great with cheese like our local cheddars.


Rhubarb Chutney

2 lb. rhubarb (7 cups cut)

1 large onion
1 cup cider vinegar
1 1/4 cups sugar (I sometimes use brown sugar for a stronger flavor)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup of golden raisins
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon allspice
few grains cayenne pepper

Wash and cut rhubarb in 1/2 inch pieces. Peel and chop onion. Combine rhubarb, onion and vinegar and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook uncovered, until the chutney is of the consistency of jam, about 40 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking. Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal.

I thought that I would share another favorite recipe, this one for ramps and potato soup. 

This is a great soup that can be served either hot or cold depending on how Mother Nature is treating us in May.  I have made this soup ahead and then finished it at a cottage weekend.  A great take along.
Ramps and Potato Soup

Ingredients
2 tbsp.   butter
3 cups  chopped ramps wild leeks
2 cups   chopped Yukon Gold potatoes
1/2 tsp.   salt
1/3 cup 2%milk     

Preparation
In large pot, melt butter over medium-low heat; cover and cook leeks, stirring occasionally, until tender, 7 minutes.
Stir in potato and salt; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add 6 cups (1.5 L) water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until potato is tender, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
Use and emersion blender to puree the mixture (Make-ahead: Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 3 days.) Stir in milk; gently heat until steaming. Serve with a garnish of chopped chives

This recipe is adapted from Canadian Living Magazine 2009.

Margaret Ann RD

Comments

  1. I keep hearing about ramps, but have never had them.... Could leeks or onions be substituted? I'm a huge soup fan any time of the year and love Potato Soup!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel,
      Thanks for your question. Ramps are also know as wild leeks and offer a "garlicky-onion" flavor. Yes, you could use leeks or other onions as a substitution.

      Shannon RD

      Delete

Post a Comment