My Love of Squash

It’s fall and one of the things I like best about fall is the arrival of the fall harvest and in particular the many different kinds of squash.

Every October my family heads out to the Nauman’s Farm and Pumpkin Patch on 3250 Hessen Strasse RR#1 St Clements On.  We always buy several kinds of squash as well as our Halloween Pumpkins.  All of the pictures in this post were taken at Nauman’s.  Several farmers on the Huron Perth Farm to Table Map also have squash available for sale at the farm gate.

Winter squash are picked after they have fully matured which gives the squash their hard shells and longer cooking times.  It also means they have longer storage times.  Most squash will store well in a cool dry place for 2 and 4 months.


Here are some of my favourite types and how I use them.


Butternut squash will keep its shape when cooked so chop it into cubes and add it to rice pasta and casseroles.







Sweet dumpling squash are the little ones with the green and white strips.  I usually pierce a whole one and put in the microwave to cook.  When it is soft I cut it in half scoop out the seeds and one is enough for a vegetable serving for both my husband and I.




Turban Squash looks like, a brightly coloured turban which is why I like it! Its unusual appearance puts many people off trying it.  Some ways that I use it are to peel the skin and scoop out the seeds. Then I chop into cubes and steam or boil (about 15 minutes) or roast it in a hot oven for up to an hour. Turban squash can also be cut into wedges and roasted with the skin on.


Margaret Ann RD

Comments