Grilled Buttermilk Chicken

This was a new recipe I tried on the weekend for the first time - of course for the purpose of blogging about it today. I love to try new recipes - most of the time they work out but sometimes we encounter a "miss". This was a bit of both. Next time I'll remove the skin from the chicken before marinating the meat - I experienced a lot of flare ups on the BBQ during cooking, even when I used aluminium pans. I served the chicken with grilled vegetables - the recipe is also posted.


This recipe is from Martha Stewart . I cook a lot using her recipes and subscribe to her Everyday Foods magazine. The original recipe (http://www.marthastewart.com/326573/grilled-buttermilk-chicken?czone=food/best-grilling-recipes/grilling-recipes&center=276943&gallery=275423&slide=284398) makes enough for 12 – which is way too much leftovers for my family of three. I have scaled down the recipe to make enough for two meals. I also omit the use of salt in my cooking so I didn’t include it in the recipe below.
Ingredients
2 cup buttermilk
6 cloves of garlic
½ cup fresh rosemary or thyme
Freshly ground pepper
2 kg of chicken thighs, legs or drumsticks
Directions
  1. Combine buttermilk, garlic, herbs, and 2 teaspoons of pepper.
  2. Place chicken in a baking dish. Cover with buttermilk marinade, turning to coat. Refrigerate for at least four hours or overnight.  

  3. 3. Heat half of your grill to medium heat and the other half on a low heat. Brush grate with oil. Remove chicken from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Grill chicken skin side down over the medium heat for 10 minutes. Flip, move to low heat, and grill, covered, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken registers 165 degrees Fahrenheit, 10-15 minutes.      
                                                                      
                                                                              Enjoy!
                                                                                     Shannon RD

Comments