Mornings are not my best time of day. I never seem to have enough time so weekday breakfasts are typically cold cereal or toast with a green smoothie. When a colleague asked us for some make ahead breakfast ideas and breakfast on the go ideas - if forced me out of my comfort zone. Thanks Annette!
So after a little search on Pinterest and my favorite food blogs I came home with a list of new breakfast ideas to try. The first one I tried was a Baked Peach and Almond Oatmeal. Here is my version of the recipe (slightly adapted from the original) my family really enjoyed it!
I made this on a weekday and it worked out really well. Before my shower I put this together in about 10 minutes. Since it bakes for 40 minutes - it gave us enough time to get ready before breakfast.
Baked Peach and Almond Oatmeal
Makes 6 servings
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 2 cups chopped peaches (I used sliced frozen peaches because they are not in season yet)
- Peach slices for the top (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Grease a 8x8 baking dish.
- Arrange peaches in the baking dish.
- Mix together oatmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and almonds.
- Pour oat mixture over peaches.
- Arrange additional peach slices on top - if using.
- Whisk together milk, egg, oil, vanilla, and almond extract.
- Pour over oat mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes until top edges are golden brown and oatmeal is set.
You could get creative with this recipe and try different fruit and nut combination. Let us know what you try.
Original recipe from Two Peas & Their Pod www.twopeasandtheirpod.com