Toast, please!

I love toast. Sometimes with marmalade and cream cheese, or butter and cinnamon, and sometimes with peanut butter and honey. Other times that just won't cut it for a satisfying meal or snack.

toast on a plate on a kitchen counter
Whole wheat toast with PB, jam, gouda, apples and hemp seeds.

What makes a meal satisfying for you? For me it usually needs some crunch, some flavour, and something fresh (substituting canned or frozen works for me too).

2 slices of toast, one with peanut butter, and one with grapesThis past weekend, I tried something new. Toasted whole wheat bread, peanut butter (I love the plain peanut only version), raspberry jam, gouda cheese (mozzarella would work too), apple slices, and hemp seeds. I know it sounds odd - but it was super tasty. This photo is actually the second serving I made that day, as my sister needed something to eat, and she loved it too!

Other days, I might keep it simple with grapes on peanut butter (this one is on pumpernickel).

My daughter loves to "help" me eat my fruit toppings. My son prefers his on the side, on his own plate.

toast topped with berries and seedsThis week, I've been going with blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries on peanut butter topped with hemp seeds on rye toast. I find the hemp seeds add a nice flavour, texture, and appearance.

Don't like peanut butter, try your favourite nut or seed butter instead? Or maybe a cheese spread? Cottage cheese or a thick yogurt can do the trick too. You could definitely switch up the hemp for sunflower or pumpkin seeds, or just leave it out.

Quick meals can be satisfying and easy. Whether you switch up your bread, your spread, your fruit, or your toppings, or serve something on the side, toast can be very versatile. What's your favourite toast?

Amy, RD
Registered Dietitian


Comments