Chocolate Chia Pudding (For Breakfast or Dessert!)



"My name is Natalee, and I eat chocolate for breakfast".

Seriously though. I have recently discovered chocolate chia pudding, and it's my new obsession. A friend of mine has been making this for a while and gave me a sample one evening. I've been hooked ever since!

Why I like this pudding (even for breakfast):
  1. Thanks to the chia seeds, this pudding is very high in fibre. In fact, even without added fruit, it contains 14g of fibre per serving (that's more than half the recommended 25g fibre per day for women). The milk and chia also make this pudding a good source of protein. Result: it fills me up and keeps me full throughout the morning.
  2. Because the chocolate flavour is so rich, you can get away with a relatively small amount of sugar (maple syrup), especially compared to most other breakfast cereals/bars
  3. This can be made the night before and is ready to eat when I'm trying to get out the door in the morning.
  4. It is so good!
Ingredients
  • 1 1/3 cup milk (almond or soy milk would work too)
  • 1/3 cup chia seeds
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup (can be reduced if using sweetened almond or soy milk)
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Optional Toppings:
  • fruit (such as berries or sliced banana)
  • flaked coconut
  • slivered almonds
  • dollop of vanilla greek yogurt or whipped cream


Instructions
  1. Whisk together milk, chia seeds, cocoa powder, maple syrup, and vanilla until well combined and cocoa powder has dissolved into milk. Note: You can mix the fruit right into the pudding before refrigerating if you wish.
  2. Divide mixture into two serving containers (such as small bowls, jars or mugs). Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight, or at least 5 hours. Top with your favourite toppings.
  3. Eat chocolate for breakfast!


What do you put in your favourite chia puddings?

Enjoy!
Natalee, RD

Comments

  1. I love making mine with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and add a teaspoon of real vanilla extract! I use Mason Jars and goji or other berries to the mix overnight making it easy to grab and go in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa,
      Thanks for sharing your favourite way to make chia seed pudding!
      Shannon RD

      Delete

Post a Comment